Do you ever feel like people are always asking the same question? You know what I’m talking about. It’s that one question that everyone asks, “How are you?”
But if you continue having boring replies like “Good,” or “Tired,” you’ll never be able to connect.
“Fine” is a conversation killer for different reasons.
For starters, people might think that there’s something wrong if you’re not great.
Second of all, it can lead to a lot of awkward situations when you say it and the other person has nothing to say back because they don’t know what to think or ask next.
The key is in creativity! Take a look here because I will show you that there are so many other ways to answer this question than with “I’m fine.”
Creative Response to How Are You
Creatives are free thinkers who aren’t afraid to share their thoughts outside of the box. You should try this!
Once you get used to saying something other than “fine”, you’ll be the one to make the conversation flow with your words.
- I’m reviewing my life.
- Now I’m in a good mood.
- I want to be better, I swear.
- If you had my life, you’d be happy too.
- There’s a lot in my head.
- I stay up late thinking about it and it’s overwhelming.
- Everything is awesome! Like awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome-er than before!
- I’m on the verge of tears, but it’s okay.
- I have a lot to cry about.
- It all depends on how YOU feel…
- Oh, I’m not fine.
- I don’t want to talk about it.
- Crazy is one-word people should use to describe me.
- And it’s quite fitting because who isn’t a little insane?
- I have too much on my mind right now vs being overwhelmed at everything that I have to do.
Funny Response to How Are You
There are many fun things we could say and people will think that you’re smart and interesting!
Sometimes, it’s good to be a little silly and fun!
The same old answers get boring, so you should try a little bit of humor at times because you might make someone laugh instead of feeling awkward.
- I’m on the road to being awesome.
- It’s been a while since I’ve been great.
- What an interesting question.
- I’m more of a dog person.
- Asking me is like asking an apple how it feels about oranges.
- This question makes me want to distance myself from humans.
- I’m more of a cat person.
- I am so overwhelmed right now, I think my brain is going to explode.
- I’m in a good mood, but not great.
- I’m in a bad mood, but it’s okay because I don’t want to make you feel awkward by telling you how much better I would be if you weren’t here right now.
- People always say that you shouldn’t complain about your life, but what else should I talk about?
- I just had a deep conversation with myself.
- I don’t think that it went very well.
- Good Morning! Now that I have woken up, my day is ruined.
- It’s hard to wake up in the morning when you’re always tired.
Witty Response to How Are You
Witty responses to “How are you?” are more fun than an ice cream sundae on a hot summer day.
While “I’m fine” and “I’ve been better” may be an appropriate response, you’ll be the hit of the party if you say something witty.
I have put together examples that will make your conversations more interesting. Try one out next time someone asks how you’re doing.
- I am like a box of chocolates; nobody knows what they’re going to get.
- Since everyone wants to know how I feel… I put myself through college.
- I feel like a chicken in a burger factory.
- My name is Bill and I’m here for a good time, not a long time.
- I’m doing my part to conserve electricity; I turned off my smiley face lamp.
- My favorite phrase is “it could be worse”.
- I’m feeling pretty good about myself, though I can’t quite remember why right now.
- My therapist told me to stay off the internet until she approves my new profile picture.
- There are times when I sit and look at my hands and wonder, “What if they were feet?”
- Happiness is just around the corner…let’s go around again!
- I wish I had the energy of a newborn baby…oh, wait. That would require getting out of bed.
- I would say that I don’t have enough information to answer “how are you”, but that wouldn’t be true.
- I have not felt the need for sleep for several decades.
- My headache seems to be in an argument with my toothache over who has the worse headache.
- I’m fine, but I’d feel better if you hugged me.
Genius Response to How Are You
Geniuses, for instance, use the opportunity to give a deep and thoughtful response, making the situation more interesting and people might laugh instead of feeling awkward.
If you want to be smart and funny, then read this section because I have put together some genius responses that people will think are out of this world!
- The difference between “I’m fine” and “I’ve been better” is about 3 coffees.
- Either I’m high or this question is making me really self-aware.
- I tried to think of something deep and meaningful, but I thought too hard and hurt myself.
- I just remembered what you said and then apparently forgot again.
- I’m good because I listen to Katy Perry.
- I’ve been pretty well, but then I woke up and realized that was all a dream.
- I’m bad at directions so it’s difficult for me to tell.
- I’m not sure, you tell me.
- What will happen if I give a bad answer?
- Why do people ask that kind of thing anyway?
- I haven’t done anything particularly noteworthy.
- Sometimes, words are not necessary.
- I’m sorry, I don’t know what you’re asking.
- Just another day in paradise.
- Nobody tells me how to live my life!
Silly Response to How Are You
I’m sure that all of us love to laugh and enjoy a good joke, but do you know how to do it?
The truth is that people often respond to “how are you” with something a short “Fine”. So change that to something silly!
If you want to be funny, then read on, because I have put together some silly responses that will make you laugh until your stomach hurts!
- I’m feeling absolutely fantastic, thank you so much for asking.
- Well, it depends on what you mean by ‘fine’.
- Me? I’m fine; it’s the world around me that seems crazy.
- I’m actually neither good nor bad, but somewhere between the two.
- I’m happy because today I saw a dog wearing sunglasses and it was adorable!
- I’m happy, the world is sad.
- I wanted to give you a different answer, but what do I have? Oh yeah… nothing.
- Just another day in my wonderful life.
- If you check out enough monkeys, sooner or later one of them will start typing Shakespeare.
- Everyone always asks me how I am doing because they expect me to say that I feel great.
Movie Line Response to How Are You
You can simply say “fine” when people ask you how you are. But you can be funny and creative with that response too!
You might say something from a movie or TV show. Here are some examples you could use.
- “In case you haven’t noticed, I’m weird. I’m a weirdo.” – Jughead in Riverdale Series
- “It’s how ARE you, not how arrrr you!” – Inspired by Hermione Granger
- “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!” – Mary Poppins
- “Everything’s shiny, Cap’n. Not to fret.” – Kaylee Frye in Serenity
- “Human world… It’s a mess.” – The Little Mermaid
- “You talking to me?” – Taxi Driver
- “Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth.” – The Pride of the Yankees
- “I’m the king of the world!” – Titanic
- “I’m just one stomach flu away from my goal weight” – The Devil Wears Prada
- “I am nothing special; just a common man with common thoughts.” – The Notebook